Monday, January 26, 2009

CPSIA certificates of compliance

So, beginning February 10th, I can continue to sell my products if I can show CPSIA compliance for each of my components (materials--fabric, snaps, etc). As of August I will have to have finished-item testing as well, and I cannot possibly do that, however I have high hopes that the law will be changed by then.
Here are a couple of helpful sources for other people looking for information about their supplies:



In the meantime, I am using this post as a place to post information about which materials I have certificates for, as well as the dates/test ID numbers. I can email you a copy of the actual certificate if you would like to see it.

I will continue to update this post as I acquire the certificates!
Please note that I am working on getting information for all my materials, but those items marked in red are the only ones that I actually use for children's products. I will not be listing diapers with anything for which I don't have testing info. I will continue to use untested materials on menstrual pads, nursing pads, wetbags, knit hats, and other adult-use items.

Fabrite 1ml PUL
(nursing pads, most diapers and pads)
Test Date: December 11, 2008
Test ID: 081211-1 thru 081211-5

Fabrite 2ml PUL (wetbags, pads, and some diapers)
Test Date: December 11, 2008
Test ID: 081211-11 thru 081211-15

KAM resin snaps (pads and diapers)
Test Date: October 10, 2008
Test ID: SHAO 032340
Tester: TESTEX Zurich

Touchtape (aka velcro) (diapers)

Stretchrite Elastic (inside diapers)
Rhode Island Textile Company
PO Box 999
Pawtucket, RI 02862
Toll Free: (800) 556-6488
Email: ritextile@ritextile.com

FOE (fold-over-elastic) (wetbags)
manufacturer verifies it's lead-free

A&E Maxi-Lock thread (all products)
certificate of compliance from consumer.homepage@amefird.com
John Eapan sent the certificate (VP of Environmental, Health and Safety)

JoAnn Fabrics Cotton Flannel (pads, nursing pads, and fitted diapers)
all children's section fabrics have been tested--Bob Isman (personal email)
(this means juvenile prints are safe, as are many flannels...I'm continuing to look into this to make sure that my fabrics are within this group) More details available on their website http://www.joann.com

JoAnn Fabrics Polyester Fleece (nursing pads and pantyliners)
Apparently, each store has MSDS sheets for each fabric on file...How helpful these MSDS sheets will be I don't know, but I think they will say whether the fabric contains lead or not. I guess you have to go in in person and ask to see them
If you have your receipts look at the number next to the fabric. If it starts with a 4000, then you can call and get a sheet emailed or faxed to you. The number to call is: 1-800-451-8346
Polartec brand fleece IS tested...so that might be an alternative...

Cotton Velour (diapers and pads)

Suedecloth (diapers and pads)
lead-free according to manufacturer

Microfleece (diapers and pads)

PowderDry (diapers--particularly nighttime ones)

Undyed Hemp Fleece (diapers)

Undyed Cotton Sherpa (diapers)

Undyed Bamboo Velour (diapers and pads)

Hand-Dyed Bamboo Velour (pads only)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Knit Picks Wool Yarn (knitted items)

4 comments:

  1. Wow, excellent blog! I too use Joann's polyester fleece and was trying to find some info. I'm sorry to hear it's not tested, I have a closet full of it :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm updating this post as I get more info...it seems that joanns does have records on file for all their fabrics, but you have to contact them about each individual one...They have CPSA-specific info for the children's fabrics, but you can contact them about others. I've added the info into the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I'm so glad to see someone is compiling a list like this and is doing something other than sitting there biting their nails. I'm a cloth diapering Mama and I'm so happy to see that there may still be light out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post.!! Well, I too use JoAnn Fabrics polyester fleece.

    ReplyDelete

Comments here are moderated because I don't get around to reading them any other way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...