I am no expert in this, but I recently found a post on another blog that has LOTS of information about how to take good photos--along with examples of the results of each method.
so here it is: LiciaPots Licia Beads Licia Knits: ooo, nice pictures--how do you do that?
- know your camera (and what settings it offers)
- use natural light (or a camera setting that adjusts for indoor lighting)
- pay attention to the white scale
- pay attention to focus
- use a solid, lint-free background
- avoid extra props (they are distracting)
- edit as necessary to have a good photo
- show your item in use (wearing a necklace for example--obviously this doesn't work for all items, but for my diaper listings I often include a picture of my son wearing a diaper of the same style, so they can get an idea of the fit)
- use all 5 of the photo slots
- Make every shot different--at least one full item, one close-up of some detail, one that is 'interesting' (a unique angle or fun prop)
- remember that the first photo needs to catch attention, not necessarily show everything. So pay attention to the order of the photos as well.